Thursday, September 24, 2015

Each step counts toward something

Yesterday I left off talking about how each decision we make is a stepping stone towards a worthy ideal. Earl Nightengale gave his definition of success that I believe most people will agree with. He said "Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal." This is becoming more and more real everyday to me as I keep moving forward. Although I have my hard times or times that I fail, I know through those times that I am a success because I am still moving toward my goal.
If I lived in California and I wanted to get to New York, I would have to first come up with a plan to get there. Lets say that that was my goal and I just started walking in that direction. I would have to guess that it would be only by a very small circumstance that I would make it. Most likely I would run into situations that would pull me from my ultimate goal and I would get comfortable there. It could be that I meet new friends and they drag me into their goal and I become content with it. Whatever the circumstance, the point is you would never reach your goal.
If you planned correctly and kept your goal in mind, you would be able to move past every obstacle with ease and determination. Some people might plan to walk there, or to ride a bike, or even fly a plane. No matter what plan you make you will never make it there in an instant. My guess is that if you planned to walk, you would find a different and faster way eventually.
The point I want to make in this post is that you have to work toward your goal every day. But first of all, set your goal and know "why" you are going there. Your why will be your motivation and determination to get there.
I am in the process of writing my goal on paper and hanging it somewhere that I will see it. I have had a general goal for a long time now (to be financially independent) and I am making better plans to get there along the way.

Proverbs is riddled with knowledge. Proverbs 3:6 says "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." I challenge you to take steps everyday to move toward your goal and learn from those times that you fall. I promise you will get better at getting up and better at walking. But you have to make the choice to take those steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment