Thursday, September 17, 2015

What am I doing here?

I recently requested a one-on-one meeting with the CEO of the company I work for. I work for a large global corporation during the day. Unfortunately it is paying my wages for now, but I am aspiring to be my own boss some day soon. I am looking at different avenues to best asses which one fits me the best. I have a lot of skills and gifts, I just need to find the one that I can use to provide the best service to people.
So back to the meeting. I had a good talk with the CEO and I think he is a great leader, except for one thing. I believe he has his blinders on in some aspects of our business, unless I am just not seeing the big picture. He was thrilled that I wanted to talk to him and not complain about something. Most of the time, people want to escalate an issue and go to him to complain about it. I wanted to talk about how we could implement ways of improving the capabilities of the soft skills our managers are missing. Or really the lack of soft skills. But that is one of my strong points which makes it easy for me to see in others.
If you watch Simon Sineks video on "Why leaders eat last", your level of understanding to be a leader will increase tremendously. Once you are able to grasp the concepts, you will be able to construct a lifestyle built on serving people and become a better leader. Someone people feel safe around and look up to for guidance. You can watch the video here.
Later that night I went to go look at a Porsche Cayenne at a used car lot. I met the owner and listened to her story of how she became her own boss. We had the same philosophy about working for corporate america. We talked about stories such as the ones I mentioned in my previous post about people who get burned over and over again by their corporate. We are head counts, not heart counts. Anyone can be disposed of at any time without remorse.
So why are we still working for these companies. It really doesn't make sense if we apply logic to it. Think of it, how many people do you know that their company actually went above and beyond for someone? In the military we are given medals for sacrificing ourselves for others. In business we are given medals for sacrificing others for ourselves. There is a false security there that we are leaning on, and one day it will be pulled out from under us and we are going to fall.

I want to encourage anyone reading this to look for options to create a service or product to as many people as you can. You will get your freedom from corporate and enjoy the rest of your life with a feeling of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment