Monday, September 28, 2015

Life limits

So last night I read my favorite kids book of all to my two little girls. "Oh the places you will go" by Dr. Seuss. Almost every time I read this book I have an epiphany. Maybe not quite an epiphany, but a moment of realization. We all get so caught up in life that we naturally start to blend in with the crowd. We forget that we can achieve greater things.
As I was reading this book, I was thinking of my kids and could see the whole future ahead of them. Each one of my kids has great potential and have gifts they can use. They got my wife's ability to socialize with people and be the cool girls. They have a natural attraction.
The book talks about flying higher and faster than the rest and then suddenly watching them all pass you up as you crash. But that is where most people will stop and be content with blending in with the environment around them. They will never take a risk again fearing they will fall again and just say "What's the point." Less Brown points out that those who learn how to get back up every time they are knocked down are the successful people.
But there real moment of realization was not that I was able to see a bright future for my girls and what they could actually do in their life, but that I did not have that natural ability to see it in myself. So while I was reading the book, I started to apply it to my kids and my own life. There are mountains to be moved and I am stuck here at my corporate job trading time for money.

If you are comfortable with getting up everyday only to do the same thing you did yesterday, you probably got caught up mixing into your environment. Jim Rohn says "You are the average of the five people you hang out with the most." I believe that applies to today's theme. Don't be content and complacent, get out there and find the mountain you are going to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment