Monday, October 5, 2015

Consistency

So for the past few days have been a little overwhelming in terms of activity. As part of my small business (renting cars on RelayRides) I brows craigslist for European SUVs and I have been watching the market and doing some research on Porshe Cayennes. I found one I thought was a scam and turned out that it was a real deal. I bought it knowing that it needed engine work and that I would not be able to add it to my fleet for renting. I spent most of my day working on it after class on Saturday and some on Sunday. I did not get the result I wanted and ended up deciding that I have to tear apart the whole engine. I do not have time to do this but I am scrambling to make that time in little cracks here and there.
The whole time, I noticed a theme. I talked a little bit about it at our men's fitness class and I recently heard it on a podcast. I spoke on consistency. There is something about being consistent that nobody likes. I believe I know what it is. So here it goes.
I believe there is a fear aspect that is being overlooked or ignored by a lot of people. They fear that they will have to be tied to something and they will loose their freedom to do whatever they want. To loose that spontaneity. But we all know in our sub-conscience that the results we want are obtained by doing things over and over. We become better at things when we continuously invest time into them. That's where the phrase "Practice makes perfect" comes from.
I will give you an example. I haven't really noticed this till a few days ago and it has become more apparent to me lately. I am consistent in working out every morning even if it ends up only being 10 minutes. Most of the time it is 20-30 minutes. I noticed the other day that I am getting abs like those you would see on TV or some workout video. This didn't happen in a day, or a week, or even a few months. It was a result of a consistent workout routine that I practice every morning.
If you look at the things that are selling fast in our society and fade out slowly, they are things that offer quick fixes. I am warning you now, don't look for the quick fix. It fades away fast. Just like sin, if you try to gratify that hole in your life with vises, you will only find yourself wanting more and more to try to fill that space. I promise you will never be satisfied if you are running after material things or even shallow relationships. Look at our medical industry, it is a monstrosity of a business and it is run like it too. Everyone follows their doctors and take pills and get surgeries and you would think that we would become a healthy nation with the best doctors in the world. It is run on the fact that it can give you a quick fix. But it is only offering a band-aid to cover the problem until another one pops up and then they can make more money on you.
I could ramble a long time about that, but I will not in this post. I wanted to point out that if you have a goal in mind, it will not be achieved unless you are consistent in the path you designed to get there. Remember you can't walk the entire length of the US in just a few steps, it takes a consistent walk towards that goal.
Get out there and take your steps even if they are small.

No comments:

Post a Comment